On Sat, Feb 13, 2021, 05:57 redst...@gmail.com <redstre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed a few posts of late mentioning tidbits about the state of v3.
> Given I haven't been following v3 closely, would someone be kind enough to
> help me and perhaps others understand:
>
> - what is the overall development state of v3?

Ongoing. Progress in spurts. Not a whole lot of time to code these days.

- A new parser had been written over the holidays, is 90% done. New
language features haven't been added to it yet. That's the next thing I'll
finish
- The beancount.core library is in the progress of being rewritten in c++,
maybe only 10% into it, figured out how to reuse all the python tests on
top of the c++ code so porting will be easy. Settled on a decimal
representation.
- Figured out the right mechanics to expose c++ autogenerated data
structures to python, prototyped, still needs tbd.
Neither of these two pieces are hooked up by default, they live alongside
the python code. This means if you're in that branch it's using the same
code paths as before. I'm on v3 in all my day to day usage.

bean-web, bean-report are gone. Holdings code has been removed and replaced
by simple inventory usage. Beanprice has moved to its own repo. Ingest too.
All the experimental prototype only plugins are gone too. And the returns
code moved to beangrow repo.

- is there a benefit in moving to v3 right now?

Not really so far. You can wait. You should probably wait.

Have core C++ rewrites made it much faster than v2?

Oh yes. Parsing is roughly 10x faster. Night and day. (But there's no
booking yet and no core library yet, so there's no point.)

- will *fava* work with v3 out of the box?

I haven't tried. Depends what it uses.
I think Fava should wait until the new code is the default code path before
doing anything.

- is there plugin or other breakage to expect with v3 currently?

Only the generic plugins that are part of the core remain.

I hope this helps,