Thread is a bit long, will respond here

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 9:49 PM Max Katsev <mkat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Really?  A realized gain is not income?
>
> Yesterday I had 10 MSFT (that I've bought a year ago at $170) in my
> Vanguard IRA account and $2500 in my Fidelity 401k. Today I've sold my 10
> MSFT for $2500 in Vanguard and bought another 10 MSFT in Fidelity. I now
> have $2500 and 10 MSFT, exactly as yesterday, but somehow I've made $800 of
> income?

Yes.
You've turned unrealized gains into realized gains. Your total gains
(unrealized + realized) hasn't changed though. Not only that, but if you
did that, and you had a loss instead, you'd have a wash-loss case on your
hands and would have to adjust your cost basis for your MSFT held at
Fidelity by $800. And it gets nasty if you have multiple lots acquired at
different times, and also, not exactly 10 lots.

But maybe you don't care and that's fine. The thing is, you don't have to
track any of this. You can legitimately use Beancount without using the
cost basis, that's totally up to you, it'll do its thing just fine. You
probably won't be able to use Beangrow, and you won't be able to properly
estimate tax liabilities for calculating your net worth. That's fine if you
don't need it. But if you don't take care to store the cost information as
you go - which is sometimes costly in time - good luck adding it in later
when you'll want it.