401k is an asset.
When I compute net worth I apply estimated taxes with a rate that depends
on the account, e.g. pre tax, Roth, taxable, etc.
In that sense assets is "gross" but I'm not sure it makes sense to say that.

I don't track pension at the government (social security). It's an expense
from my pov on the payroll.