Let me ask a more basic question.  What is bean-price actually supposed to
do?

Re-reading
https://beancount.github.io/docs/fetching_prices_in_beancount.html ,
I'm piecing together that perhaps the only thing bean-price does is value
your assets as of a certain date.  Is that true?  TBH it's not clear from
the docs.

There are other uses for prices, e.g., establishing cost basis for a
purchase, or establishing the value of the transfer of an asset at a
particular point in time be that for income or expenses.  Are there
existing plugins that can look up historical prices and annotate
transactions with them where they're missing?