That all makes sense, thanks.Is the correct way to use zerosum to just keep
all the ledger entries as `Zero-Sum-Accounts` rather than changing them to
`ZSA-Matched`? I was doing this to make it easier to track in plain text
but I know you can just track transactions in Fava, bean-query, etc.

That’s how I use it (retain it as 'Zero-Sum-Accounts'), but I wouldn’t say
that’s the only way. My original intent was to include a script to “bake
in” the rewrites that one was happy with into the ledger, so they become
set in stone, and also for performance reasons. It turned out that neither
has been an issue in years (I rewrote zerosum for performance at some
point), so I never did the “baking in” part for myself, even though that’s
become very easy now with autobean
<https://autobean-refactor.readthedocs.io/>. It’s complexity without a
clear payoff IMHO. As you touched upon, I rarely have the need to track my
source ledger files because my reporting tools are are highly evolved for
my purposes both via Fava and on the command line thanks to Beancount being
an extremely scriptable library.

But YMMV, and if you decide to bake things in, you will run into the same
issue in your OP around smart_importer. The easy way around this is to use
the rename_account
<https://github.com/redstreet/beancount_reds_plugins/tree/main/beancount_reds_plugins/rename_accounts#readme>

plugin to rename ‘ZSA-Matched’ to ‘Zero-Sum-Accounts’ when running
smart_importer.
​