So now I'm wondering, since I've got a handful of purely custom importers
and a whole bunch of new importers to write next quarter, what does the
preponderance of the community use and why? I've heard of Red's importers,
beancount-import, and now beangulp. I know there's others. I haven't looked
at any of them personally yet because I'll need to package them for my
niche linux distro first (NixOS has *some downsides*).

Just looking at the github repos:

   1. beangulp was written by the same guy that wrote beancount itself (Hi
   Martin!) so I would expect it to integrate very well.
   2. beancount-import has a web UI, which seems like a very useful tool
   for verifying all this automation (especially for expense categorization,
   which I'm skeptical can *ever* be particularly reliable)
   3. red's importers has the most active community by far, and seems to
   focus heavily on a "run the script every time you look at the reports"
   workflow

I don't have unit tests on my importers, and I'm importing from CSV's
because I just got the simplest thing working. It's a KISS
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle> setup that's exactly as
messy as it sounds. So given that I need to do an overhaul anyways, I'm
curious why, for example, James doesn't use red's scripts.

Is it just that a fully automated setup is harder to build? The peace of
mind from looking at the web UI to verify stuff?

Sincerely,
Timothy Jesionowski