This reply probably comes too late for you but, did you try changing your
file/socket config within the os?
things like somaxconn and ephemeral port reuse are important if you are
opening and closing a lot of connections.
The best guide I have come across is here:

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 03:48:05 UTC, Jonathan Martins wrote:
> Hello Folks.
> I have a problem quite a time:
> First I will explain my infrastructure a bit:
>  All instances are running Ubuntu on AWS Services.
> - One ELB with multiple instances attached, that I call: API Servers .
> - One single instance running only beanstalkd.
> - One single instance running the workers.
> The API receives requests, put them into beanstalkd, next the worker get
> the jobs and process it. Basic stuff...
> After pre warn my ELB with some front servers I wait for the incoming
> traffic. When I have a spike traffic in a short period of time beanstalkd
> cannot handle all requests. It gives me a timeout message. Sometimes it
> happened only a few seconds, but it is enough to lose some 100k+ requests
> Notes
> - All API servers that run during the spike time, threshold a maximum of
> 50% CPU, no problem to receive traffic.
> - My beanstalkd server thresholds a maximum of 15% CPU, and every time I
> have a lot of free RAM left. I never ever have more that 20% CPU usage on
> this server. Beanstalkd seems to be very efficient.
> - During spike time the worker server get at 100% CPU, like is expected.
> I have tried
> - Scale the beanstalkd server UP, (more CPU, more RAM, best Network): no
> improvement (a micro instance gives me the same results of a xlarge)
> - Next I try to run more that one process in different ports: was worst!
> :(, why ?
> - I Increased the connection timeout, but I cannot run under 30s max.
> normally, I run my services in much lower timeouts.
> Lets go to questions:
> Does Ubuntu Kernel limits influence in some case? Does beanstalkd open a
> file descriptor, or it runs only in memory?
> If I use another OS, like CentoOS, or the Amazon Linux AMI, can I get
> better results with beanstalkd?
> Another thing that I guess is struggling the hole process are my workers,
> can a server consuming and processing lots of jobs from beanstalkd
> interfere in the connection of my API servers?
> Should I open another internal ELB and scale beanstalkd servers
> horizontally?
> For now every time that I get a spike traffic, I save the failing requests
> to another DB, so later on, I can put all back in beanstalkd.

"beanstalk-talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit