Hi -

I've been working with beets for some weeks now and while it does a lot of
things that are useful, there are many quirks.   I'd like to just start
sending them to the list and if I have time I can provide more detail as
I'm assuming this will be necessary.

First one, beets "copy" will not do a copy if the files you are importing
happen to be in a deep subfolder of the ultimate target directory, even
though the path is wrong and even though the files being accessed *are not*
part of the library yet.   Beets should raise an error if it can't handle
this directory setup and it should never *overwrite* a non-imported file
that's not in the correct target location.     I understand this probably
is interacting poorly with the fact that you can do "beet import" at the
existing library directory, however because these files were not present at
all in the library beforehand and they are not in the correct library
position.

assume you set up this:

/mnt/my_music/<no files>

/mnt/my_music/files_to_import/<all the files I want to import>

then set up beets config including:

directory: /mnt/my_music/
library: /mnt/my_music/library.blb
import:
   copy: yes
   write: yes
   incremental: yes

then tell beets to import from that subfolder.

beet import /mnt/my_music/files_to_import/

As to why one would do this, I'm working with an NFS-mounted share, and I
wanted to keep all the files on the same side of the share so that the
"copy" operation would proceed much faster.    Of course I could have just
made two subdirectories on the share, or used two shares, however the root
of the share is where I ultimately want the music to be, and because beets
seems to code absolute paths in the library.blb file (another poor
practice, as the database file is not portable).

So the result is that beet *does not copy* the files, it *overwrites them
in place*, thus erasing the tags in the original files which I'd of course
like to keep pristine.       That is, in the library itself, when I do
"beet list -p", the files' permanent location is in the "files_to_import"
subfolder which is *not* part of my "paths" configuration, and this is
therefore incorrect.