If there's anyone still interested in this, I colored my output like so
using the config file:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AkfiGbTeFiE/WYc-BU4IQuI/AAAAAAAAAAk/dYeOk0XbfNI6a_ruNeioM5l476OVgTmFACLcBGAs/s1600/colors.png>
format_item: "\u001b[92m$artist\u001b[39m - \u001b[31m$album\u001b[39m -
\u001b[93m$title\u001b[39m"
format_album: "\u001b[92m$albumartist\u001b[39m -
\u001b[31m$album\u001b[39m"