Hello,
I am Martin Schaaf, Forth hacker and Perl mystified.

I'm taking on a volunteer project to create a cgi script to maintain a
simple flat file database and generate reports through email.  Passwords
and commands would be passed through the email Subject: line.  The unique
identifier for each record would be a password known only to the person who
created that record.  Results would be returned via email.  I want to keep
the database in a straight character deliminated text file format that
could be fixed using a text editor if it gets corrupted.

I'm imagining that I can hack a simple maillist program to handle the email
portion.  My question is:

Given a record of a character deliminated string of fields, how can I best
insert and extract the record?

Warm Regards,
Martin Schaaf, M.S., EMDR II, San Francisco Bay Area
Projects and interests:
Poetry: http://users.cwnet.com/three4al/poems/
Plant Tissue Culture: http://users.cwnet.com/three4al/bamboo/
Freedom Summer Support Project http://users.cwnet.com/three4al/FSSP/

"We're waist deep in the Big Muddy and the damned fool says to push
on."   - Pete Seger

NOTE:  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you have received this email in error please inform the
sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism.