On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 02:06:42PM -0600, Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> I saw a very simple demonstration last night (at the Boulder Java users
> group) where Scott Davis showed a very simple java server pages program that
> transmitted HTML table data to a browser resident instance of Microsoft
> Excel. IE automatically looked at the mime types and invoked MS Excell to
> convert the HTML to a spreadsheet.

Don't do that. You've no idea what software the end user will be
using, so if you lie and claim that an HTML document is really an
Excel document then you can cause problems for people.

If you want to generate Excel, then Perl has many fine modules to do
just that.

(At a wild guess I'd say that perhaps you were encountering the IE
knows the Content-Type better then the server issue, and it was
realising that you Excel document was really an HTML document and
doing The "Right" Thing).