On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:34:25 -0700 (PDT)
Lynn Etheredge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to open a file in it's native application.  It doesn't have a
> specified extension, however, so I would need to specify the application
> somehow.  I saw
>
> system("start docname")
>
> but this doesn't specify the application.

I am not sure what you really want to do.

As this is a 'cgi' list I presume you want to open up a file so it can be read
on the web

And that file might be a MS "Word" document, in which case there may well be a
perl module that reads Word documents

So could you elaborate a little more perhaps?

Owen