Mike, I replied a couple of days ago to say I'd solved the problem but
it has not appeared, despite being told that the post was successful.

Assuming that it's lost, here's a brief summary;

Delved into LWP as you recommended and strung together some code that
used the 'head' and 'getstore' methods. From the 'getstore' I could
see that the image was there but it was preceded by what looked like
debug statements. Further investigation uncovered that I had left a
couple of debug print statement in my database manager class. Removed
them and it all worked fine.

Again, many thanks for your help. I've learnt so much from this.

Regards,

Bryan