Hi Ron,

> Excellent.  Remember that you should also look at the super classes for
> methods.  UnixFileDirectory is the instance of “FileDirectory default” but
> it’s also a subclass of FileDirectory so the methods you can call include
> UnixFileDirectory and all the methods on the class hierarchy including the
> methods on FileDirectory.  Please see the method categories on FileDirectory
> that I mentioned.

Okay, thanks.  I tried to do something with that, but I got an error.  I think
I was trying to use a class method on the instance.

> The question I asked was a bit different.  When you ask for the #entries of
> the instance “FileDirectory default” what class is each file?

It is an Array of DirectoryEntry objects.

> By the way, based on the question you asked there is a method on
> FileDirectory to determine if the file exists before you read it (it’s in the
> method categories I pointed out to you).  What is that method?

fileExists:

I see what is happening.  I thought the on: method changes the path, like cding
a directory.  But it gives a new instance.

dir := FileDirectory default.
dir on: '/Users/jja/Desktop’ ==> UnixFileDirectory on '/Users/jja/Desktop'
dir fileExists: 'categories.CSV’ ==>false
dir pathName
==>'/Users/jja/Desktop/Squeak-4.3-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources'

dir := FileDirectory on: '/Users/jja/Desktop’ ==> UnixFileDirectory on
'/Users/jja/Desktop'
dir pathName ==> '/Users/jja/Desktop'
dir fileExists: 'categories.CSV’ ==> true

So on: is the equivalent of new, in that it gives a new instance.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Joe.