Back in the late '80 everyone was waiting for Smalltalk, the exemplar
object-programming language.

If you want to know "what happened to Smalltalk" then google the preceding
quoted text. But that was then

This is now: the programming community has moved on to yet another panacea
-- functional programming, one that can take advantage of modern multi-core
processors, something for which Smalltalk, with its multitude of state
variables, was ill-suited.

That's the short story.

Functional is interesting. But having to rethink/restructure every problem
for it might have you asking, "I have to do all THAT to do what I want to
do?"

I wonder if anyone is working on a Smalltalk based functional programming
language as Richard Hickey was working on a Lisp based functional
programming language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clojure

Just the other day I was wishing for a Clojure with mutable collections.