>> I'd like to take a string and manipulate it in a few ways.
>>
>> If the string is 34 characters or less, I'd like to append a colon
>> character and save it to $var1.
>
> The length function will tell you how many characters are in a string.
>

>> If the string is longer than 34 characters, I'd like to save up to 35
>> characters to $var1, but cut off at the last possible space character
>> and not including that space character in the variable.  I'd then like
>> to save up to 26 characters of the cut off portion (not including the
>> previously mentioned space character) to $var2, cut off at the last
>> possible space character and not including that space character in the
>> variable.  $var2 should have an appended colon character.
>
> The substr function will return parts of a string, and may also be used to
> replace parts of a string.
>
> The concatenation operator (.) may be used to add characters to the end of
> the string.
>
> The index function will return the first position of a substring within a
> specified string, and -1 if the substring cannot be found. The rindex
> function returns the last position, so you can use it to find the last space
> in a string.
>

>> Is that a tall order?  I'm hoping it's trivial for someone here.
>
> It should be straight-forward to put these functions together to do what you
> want. Give it a try and come back here if you can't get it to work.
>
> See the following:
>
> perldoc -f length
> perldoc -f substr
> perldoc -f index
> perldoc -f rindex
> perldoc perlop (Search for 'Additive Operators')

Thanks guys.  With some help I've come up with this:

$string = 'abc def ghi jkl mno pqr stu vwx yz';
if(length($string) = 34) {$var1 = $string.":";}
if(length($string) > 34) {
  $string =~ s/\s//g;
  ($var1, $var2) = $string =~ /(.){35}(.){26}/;
  $var2 .= ":";
}

but I get:

Safe: Can't modify length in scalar assignment

I've got to leave Safe on.  Can I modify this to work within it?

- Grant