I am trying to write a small online price comparison-agent, but I have no
experience doing something similar before.
My intention is to query search engines for a product and try to my own
algorithm to parse the returned values for the prices and compare them.

Can any experienced developer tell me whether or not this is the right way
to proceed? if not, can you tell me how to go about this (also suggest Perl
modules which can be used)? I am unsure whether the libwww could be used for
this.

I have spent some time searching the web for an example of comparison agent
codes, but found none. It looks like such algorithms are kept secret by
their owners.

Please give code examples if possible.

Regards

Mimi