Hi,

GlenM <glenmill...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sure that someone out there has done this before - I *think* I am
> on the right track.
>
> I have a directory full of emails. What I would like to do is read
> each file in, then parse them into a CSV style file.

Quick aside: you can use the $. builtin variable to get the line number instead
of keeping track of it yourself.

Since you asked for suggestions, here's my $0.02:

Putting mails line by line into a CSV files seems futile to me, since the
number and position of mail headers is variable.

If you want to create a database of your mails or do some other sort of data
mining I would suggest that you look at something like the MIME-Tools bundle[1]
to do the actual parsing and the concentrate on doing something useful with the
extracted information.

HTH,
Thomas

1) http://search.cpan.org/~doneill/MIME-tools-5.427/lib/MIME/Tools.pm