Shlomi Fish wrote:
Nevertheless, if you are going to run Perl on UNIX systems exclusively, you shouldn't use threads. And if you're planning to do such multi-tasking on Windows using Perl - please reconsider.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to run Windows. It's like trying to run a marathon while dragging a bus.

That's actually the reason people prefer to use threads over processes in different languages - so they'll share memory.

That reminds me of some of the embedded systems I worked on which didn't have the memory for a fully-fledged OS. Non-preemptive multitasking and all memory was global (the stack was only 1K).

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.