[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Say I have an array in perl,
>
> @list = ("a=3", "b=5", "c=8", "d=9", "e=2", "f=0");

   looking at your list a hash seems like a better option, the hash will be like

    %hashlist = (
                             a => 3,
                             b => 5,
                             c => 8,
                             d => 9,
                             e => 2,
                             f => 0);
   the reason being,  you are associating the numeric values (3, 5, 8 etc.) to the
characters (a, b, c etc.)
   a hash (associative array) would be more useful here. Is my assumption correct?

   To access the element 'd' you will say $hashlist{d}
   You can get more information on hashes from perldoc perldata