On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, 'lesleyb' wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 07:24:51AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   argh ... after just skipping the component that was causing the
> > earlier error, i got further and then this:
> >
> Probably a good idea to unskip it and fix the problem there first.
>
> > perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so: undefined
> > symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
> > error: Bad exit status from
> > /home/rpjday/WindRiver/prj/4.3/vrf/build/perl-Convert-ASN1-0.21/rpm-tmp.42187
> > (%build)
> >
> which looks like a symbol isn't in the symbol table of the shared object
> Cwd.so.
>
> >   can someone explain in general why these errors are happening?  is
> > this a mismatch of some kind between the software and the perl
> > module?  is it the software's fault?  since i'm getting the ugly
> > feeling that i may not have seen the last of these so i'd like to know
> > what's behind these things.  thanks.
>
> I would hazard a guess that the software is asking for a Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
> function which doesn't exist in the shared object Cwd.so so there may well be
> mismatch between the software requirements and what you have installed.
>
> I suggest you fix the first bug first in case your skipping it is causing this
> bug.

  i'd love to, but i'm still not clear on how or, more importantly,
*why* there's that kind of mismatch.  i think i mentioned this
already but, *officially*, this build should complete on ubuntu 10.04,
whereas i'm using ubuntu 11.04.  so that suggests there's been some
sort of change with one or more perl modules in between that's causing
this grief.  but i don't just want to start installing CPAN modules
until i think i understand what that would be fixing.

rday

p.s.  is there a way to identify which perl module supplies the
Perl_Gthr_key_ptr symbol?  perhaps it's just a dependency issue that
didn't exist in 10.04 but is somehow in 11.04.

                        http://crashcourse.ca