Hi Mike,

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:28:39 -0500
Mike D <ekimduna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, just started using Perl today, coming over from a background in
> C#/Java and Python.

Welcome to Perl.

> I seem to be grasping Perl rather nicely (I think) until I got up to
> references in Beginning Perl.
>
> Considering the following code, are all my comments correct?

Yes, all your comments appear to be correct.

> # this function expects an array to be passed by reference
> sub foo
> {
>     my ($thing1) = @_; # make a lexical variable for the array being passed
>     for (@$thing1) # to access the whole array after referencing
>     {
>         print $_."\n";
>     }
>     print $thing1->[0]."\n"; # access single element in referenced array
> }
>
> my @array = (1,2,3,4);
>
> foo(\@array); # pass @array by reference to sub foo
>

> It's pretty confusing, especially since BP uses prototypes during the
> example, which I'm told are bad? Never use them?

Yes, in general, you shouldn't add prototypes to your subroutines.

For more information about references, see the various resources on:

http://perl-begin.org/topics/references/

You may also be interested in this page -
http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/ , or in the book Modern Perl by
chromatic ( http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/modern-perl/ ) which is intended
for already experienced programmers.

Regards,