On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Shawn H Corey <shawnhco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are many things in it, like "Don't use the two-argument open,"
> which are relevant. part of the problem is that many of the older Perl
> sources are out of date. PBP does tell what to use instead.

All of the Perl books that have been recommended in this thread teach
the 3 argument form of open(), and explain the issues with the the 2
argument form. PBP isn't needed for that.

A quick review of Appendix A shows the following pieces of advice,
which are, IMO, very much _not_ Perl "best practices" anymore, if they
ever were:

* 'use English'
* 'use Class::Std'
* 4 space indents
* don't use postfix if
* don't use unless
* don't use any regex delimiters other than '/.../' or 'm{...}'

That's just a sample from a quick skim; there were also lots of pieces
of good, non-controversial advice (e.g., always 'use strict', etc.),
but again, many of those are covered by _Learning Perl_ or _Beginning
Perl_.

I'm not discounting the utility of PBP. I'm saying that throwing it at
a beginning Perl programmer is not a kindness, because they don't have
the experience with the language or the context of the community to
separate the wheat from the chaff, or to understand why one person's
wheat might be another person's chaff.

chrs,
j.