I am receiving log entries as a string and then writing them to a file
with the date tacked on beginning.  Problem is that sometimes the
string I receive contains \n and it makes parsing the file with grep
more difficult.  Looking for a simple way to replace all \n in the
string with text <CR> or something of that sort.

It might be even better yet to replace all characters that are not
directly printable with there HEX equivalent since I only need
readable text log info on one line.  Is there an easy way to do that?