I found my error.  I ended up using $mech->save_content(‘result.html’)
at the end of my script and, lo and behold, it produced the confirm.htm page
with an error.  I had forgotten to add the cardholder’s name field to the final
form submission, so of course, SurfShop was returning the same page and asking
for it to be filled in.  Talk about embarrassing. :\  Oh, well, everything is
working fine now and I have a super little script to place test orders
automatically.  It’s turned out to be a great tool for solving problems.
Before this, I was manually placing test orders, filling in every field by
hand, which gets old real fast when you have to do it repeatedly.

        If anyone is looking to automate tasks like this for testing or
whatever else, I whole heartedly recommend WWW::Mechanize.  It’s a real time
saver.

        Thanks again to Chas for the reply.

Frank