When I download something (depending on how large it is/how much I trust)
I get the source code, scan it for anything dodgy (including the
makefile/make make script) and if all seems ok,
compile and install. If you can avoid it, never compile/install as root. I
generally compile the modules as an unprivalidged user, and copy them to
~/lib/perl5/ and add the following to by script:

use lib "./lib/perl5/";

before any other use commands.

A.