Okay, so I'm a total Perl newbie.  I have an old script (that I
unfortunately inherited) that I'd like to convert to Perl 5.  I copied
it over, and I get a syntax error.  I went to perl.org, perl.com, etc.,
but can't find anything that describes the differences between 4 and 5.
  I feel like I'm shooting in the dark, and conceptually I'm just trying
to understand the code.  Anyone have a link?  Anyways, here's a snippet
that doesn't work...

syntax error at appl_request.c line 8, near "*,"
syntax error at appl_request.c line 20, near "char   last"

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <time.h>