host1 is one host. the only host that I have been testing this on.
via command line it works.
via rsh command line it doesn't.
via rsh to command prompt, then command lining it, it works.

It looks like it is differences in the env. vars.
essentially when I use rsh and run a command (ie rsh host1 env) the env is
pretty damn empty.
but when I just rsh to the host the env comes back full (ie rsh host [wait
for prompt] env).

now to think of a way to fix this... better to know what env to set so I can
set it in the script.

Thanx for your help!