Are you sure you know what this 'if' statement is doing?
It always evaluates true. and the m/$litem/$matchitem/i shouldn't be in
quotes.

    if($litem, "/$matchitem/"){  ## always true
     $PNdString =~ "m/$litem/$matchitem/i";  ## not a pattern match if it's
in quotes
     print (OUTFILE "$PNdString\n");
    }
    else{