And who would care if the list always remains small enough that it wouldn't
make a difference?
use grep, if you notice a performance issue at that command then it's time
to think of other methods of doing your operation (hint hashes).

Personally I avoid making giant arrays, heck I aviod too much data in memory
all together, but once you have to have too much data in memory you already
have a problem that you should be re-thinking to use less of it.