Pete Emerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I put a working test.pl in /var/www/cgi-bin.
> Then I symlinked test2.pl to it.
> When I loaded up test2.pl, the web page said:
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/test2.pl on this server.

I won't be able to check this immediately since I don't have root.
But will be able eventually.

See below about screw up...

"Dan Muey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> An ls -l shows:
>>    -rwxr-xr-x  1 [...]   202 Apr  1  2002 scr_filename.cgi
>> [...]
>>    lrwxr-xr-x  1 [...] 8 Jan 23 09:19 link.cgi -> diag.cgi
>

> Looks like link.cgi is a link to and therefore actually executing diag.cgi not
>scr_filename.cgi
> I went to your links and to the diag,cgi versionand it works.
> Might want to ask the server admin if apache is set to not allow symbolic links to
>be used for web browsing.

My screwup Dan, I was messing with those files and renamed them
before finishing my post.  Then edited my post to reflect the new
names.  I missed editing what comes after the -> but it is in fact
scr_filename.cgi

 ls -l [ls][ic]*
lrwxrwxrwx  [...] link.cgi -> /home/reader/public_html/scr_filename.cgi
-rwxr-xr-x  [...] scr_filename.cgi

Sorry for the miss-information.  Looks like Pete and your speculations
about apache settings may be the right answer.

>> scr_filename.cgi contains:
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/perl
>>      print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
>>
>>      print "SCRIPT_FILENAME = $ENV{SCRIPT_FILENAME}";
>
> For kicks try
> print "SCRIPT_FILENAME = $ENV{'SCRIPT_FILENAME'}";
> With the single quotes and see if that does anything good.

That puzzled me to at one time.  When I noticed they didn't need to
be there a few days ago.

Try hitting www.jtan.com/~reader/scr_filename.cgi they are missing
there:

Cat src_filename.cgi:
#!/usr/bin/perl
     print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

     print "SCRIPT_FILENAME = $ENV{SCRIPT_FILENAME}";

I did try inserting them just for good measure.  scr_filename.cgi
still works but still no go at link.cgi