On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:50:21 -0500, GMane Python
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> while ( <> ) {

That isn't doing what you expect, which (I assume) is an infinite
loop. <> loops over @ARGV and attempts to open each arg as a file and
iterate over the lines in each. I suppose it is functionally a
somewhat infinite (heh) loop with no args, as it reads from STDIN
until EOF. Except that it won't do anything until it can read
something from STDIN.

You probably want while (1) { ... } The rest looks ok at first glance,
other than the variable declaration thing.