Thanks for your input :)

Finally, there were serious errors in your methodology in your

Serious? I thought "in the Big Picture, it won't matter a gnats eyebrow." :)

original benchmark. It turns out the printing dominated the total

That is why I made both identical except for the difference I'm concerned with.

execution time, such that the variance between the two different
selection methods were pushed down into the noise. When I benchmarked
using lists of 10 elements searching for five random members in
the list, the exists-in-hash version was about 10 times faster
for *JUST THE SELECTION OPERATION* than the grep-the-list version.

Excellent, what code did you benchmark?