On Sep 21, Tommy Nordgren said:

When called with the syntax I've used, it returns a list containing a single string.
I'll try without the paranthesis.
Can it be that perl treats the entire source text between left and right paranthesis as a regular expression.
If so, I consider this a bug.

There's no bug. You're doing something wrong. If you show us a bit more code, that demonstrates how you're using the function, we might be able to help more.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan        %  How can we ever be the sold short or
RPI Acacia Brother #734    %  the cheated, we who for every service