I recently started messing with perl sockets and I was wondering if it is
possible to do any of the following:

- Pre-shared key, to act as some sort of authentication. Currently I have
it checking the peer address, but I figure that could be spoofed.

- Stream large amounts of data, IE tar to stdout on one end and tar to
stdin on the other and run it over the socket. Due to firewall's our only
option is to pipe over ssh, but that seems to put a higher load on the
servers than we like

Thanks,
Scott