Can't answer the first, but on the second:

        I send text messages to my ATT cingular phone using sendmail to
send the text. This gives me heads up when I have problems. Now I am
also starting sending to another phone number using cingular, but it is
a blackberry. This user receives the text, but it is messed up. I never
got around to correcting. For cinuglar node in my location, it is
@mmode.net and the other cingular is in Colorado and has a completely
different node ( @mobile.mycingular.com ).

        It can be done and I have been running in this mode for 5 or
more years at least.

          If you have any problems or questions, please let me know.

     Thanks.

  Wags ;)
David R Wagner
Senior Programmer Analyst