I'm not even sure the title is the appropriate terminology. What I am
trying to do is fork a process that receives data from the parent, but,
once the data is received, the parent can go on and do whatever it wants
(and likewise the child). How do I arrange for the child process to be
detached once the data is sent to it?

Put another way, I do NOT want the parent to block waiting for the child
to exit.

Here is (in summary) the code I am using (which was adapted from section
16.10 of the Perl Cookbook):

            if($pid = open(CHILD, "|-"))

            {

                CHILD->autoflush(1);

                $sprm = $type . "(". "S" . $arg1 . $arg2 . ")";

                print CHILD "\"$sprm\n";

Lots of other output logic here....

                close CHILD;

                next;

            }

            else

            {

                die "cannot fork: $!" unless defined $pid;

                exec "xgraph $plotargs";

                exit;

            }

Basically, I want xgraph to have a life of its own after the data is
received and plotted.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,

Kim Helliwell

LSI Logic Corporation

Work: 408 433 8475

Cell: 408 832 5365

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please Note: My email address will change to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Oct 14. The old 'lsil.com' email
address will stop working after Jan 15, 2007. Please update your address
book and distribution lists accordingly. Thank you.