On 11/30/06, Chris Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Adriano Ferreira wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Chris Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> while(@numbers = <>) {
>>
>> # Extract widths @width = split(" ", $numbers);
>
> Here at this piece of code, @numbers and $numbers are different
> variables. And you never assign anything to $numbers. Probably you
> want this:
>
> while (<>) { # read a line my @numbers = split /\s+/, $_; # split
> the line (using spaces as the delimiter)

I added what you suggested and this is what I get now:

Enter Total Square Footage: 1200
Enter widths separated by spaces:
3 4
Argument "3 4" isn't numeric in division (/) at calc.pl line 27, <>
line 2.
size =  amount needed = 300

Sorry. I pointed the immediate problems but hasn't look deeply into
what you were trying to do. You want to read many numbers input from
STDIN and then make a loop for them. So you should remove the
construction of @numbers from the loop, doing

I am missing something, probably very obvious.  It isn't getting the
split numbers.

Code is:
while(<>)
    {
    # Extract widths
    chomp();
        my @numbers = split /\s+/, $_;
        my $result = &calculate;
        print("size =  amount needed = $result \n");
    }

my @numbers = split /\s+/, <>;
for my $width (@numbers)
        my $result = &calculate($width);
        print("size =  amount needed = $result \n");
}

I hope it helps more this time.

while(<>)
    {
    # Extract widths
    chomp();
        my @numbers = split /\s+/, $_;
        my $result = &calculate;
        print("size =  amount needed = $result \n");
    }

sub calculate {
    my $a = $_;
    my $value = $a / 12;