Travis Thornhill wrote:
I need to make strings of variable length for testing inputs.
  The strings can contain any letter, say 'a', and I need to be able to create
the string with
  255, 256 or any length.
Is there a quick and easy way to do this with perl?

This will generate a string of random length between 1 and 256 with random
letters from a to z.
I have only tested it lightly, so the best of luck to you.

use strict;
use warnings;

my ($rand_string, $index);
my @letters = qw( a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z );
my $length = int rand( 255+1 );

for (1..$length) {
    $index = int rand(scalar @letters-1);
    $rand_string .= $letters[$index];
}

print $rand_string, "\n";

--
Flemming Greve Skovengaard                    The prophecy of the holy Norns
a.k.a Greven, TuxPower                        The world is doomed to die