Thanks for the reply Yitze.

I simply wondered whether there was any benefit.  I haven't yet tried
the perl -MCPAN approach but have spent most of the day in cpan.  I
would expect to see perl -MCPAN in an anutomated approach somewhere I
guess.

I have successfully updated some modules locally using cpan but some
won't update e.g. due to being the 5.10 version and I'm on debian etch
with 5.8.8 still.  That indicates to me that either cpan or the module
writer doesn't accomodate the different perl distros automagically
i.e. try to find the latest in 5.8.8 rather than attempt a 5.10
download or have the module be graceful about the different
versions.

I had some fail to upgrade for other reasons - typically failures to
compile using the version of gcc installed - or other things missing
outside of what cpan can cope with.

I have at least updated those I actually wanted to update. :)

For anyone curious I found these techniques useful - start cpan from
the command line and type in r.  You'll get a list of installed
modules for which there are updates.  You can also upgrade all these
by entering upgrade on its own or upgrade <modulename> to upgrade a
specific module.

Regards

Lesley