Neal wrote:

> I am starting to learn Perl as the ksh scripting language
> My environment is AIX 5.3 running some sort of 5.8 PERL.

I was struggling trying to learn Perl via DJGPP on Windows 95 (?) and
Programming Perl:

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596000271/index.html

Programming Perl is a hard core language reference; I needed a gentler,
learning-oriented book.  Also, Perl is very much Unix-centric; any other
platform adds idiosyncrasies that don't exist on Unix/ Linux/ BSD.

Life became much easier once I built a Linux box and bought Learning
Perl:

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596520106/index.html

The Perl Cookbook is an excellent practical and learning resource -- it
contains lots of useable, idiomatic Perl code with solid explanations:

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596003135/index.html

When you're ready to start writing libraries of reusable code (e.g. Perl
modules), get Intermediate Perl:

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102067/index.html

HTH,

David