On 11/2/06, dipankar das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 03 Nov 2006 7:02 am, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
>
> > I've recently been playing around with AJAX, using the Bangla archive
> > as an example. Today I finally managed to get something that works
> > reasonably well in Firefox/Konqueror/IE (only IE 7 tested so far). The
> > results can be seen here:
> >
> > http://www.bengalinux.org/projects/archive/dynamic.php
>
> It was quite interesting. There are a few problems though. 'বঙ্গভাষা' entry in
> 'মধুসূদন দত্ত' is not working, at least in Konqueror.

Not working in what sense?

It used to be that Konqueror didn't implement the white-space:pre CSS
property, and to work around that I had &nbsp's inserted all over the
place in pre-formatted content (i.e. poetry). This seems to have been
fixed in the latest version (I'm running 3.5.5), so I didn't bother to
do that any more (it increases file sizes by a lot). The old versions
are still available though (see below).

If there's some other kind of problem, please give more details.

> And if i click anything
> while the 'loading' signal is there, the whole thing at times goes to a
> freeze. Is it some problem with the Java in my box, or the package?

No java involved, only javascript. But I tried doing that here, and it
seemed OK (i.e. the last click got processed). Maybe I should make
sure the earlier requests are aborted.

One (bad) way of debugging (in Firefox/Konq) is to turn off the
stylesheet (konq View->Use Stylesheet->Basic Page Style), in which
case a message box with some debugging messages is visible.

> But it
> was interesting: it is so novel to see Bangla text archives, not images, or
> PDF-s.

This is actually a fairly old project (started circa 2001, and
languishing since 2004). The link given above actually goes to

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/AltWebPage/dynamic.html

The old version is available at

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/WebPage/bengali.html

and it's corresponding new version is at

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/AltWebPage/bengali.html

The difference in the new version is that most of the HTML files are
now XHTML and as I said, the &nbsp;-s are dropped.

> Is the archive searchable?

Through google, which seems good enough to me. I have thought of
adding a search box on the site itself (along with a little phonetic
input tool), but haven't managed to do it yet.

> Did you type in all the things? Is there any news of Bangla OCR on the
> horizon? Any works of this kind are so limited by the absence of a reasonably
> good OCR. And so many millions of good old Bangla works are there outside
> copyright.

That's one of my favorite topics :-), and unfortunately, no, I don't
know of any good OCR software available (there are many that _claim_
to exist, but are not available either commercially or otherwise). I
have, naturally, tried to experiment with it myself over the years,
and my best effort so far is hosted at

http://bocra.sourceforge.net

Test cases and some results are available at

http://bocra.sourceforge.net/doc/gb-bn.html

Needless to say, there are still lots of problems. I'll be happy to
discuss more if anyone's interested.

Since you mention PDF's, there's something I've been meaning to ask on
the list (and you specifically, since you work with openoffice). Last
time I tried, both gnome and kde did a lousy job of creating PDF files
from HTML. On the other hand, Openoffice does really great, in terms
of embedding vector fonts and keeping file sizes down. Do you (or
anyone else) know of a good way to convert HTML to PDF using
openoffice through a command line script? If there is a way, it might
be nice to be able to offer PDF versions as well.

-Deepayan