On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 16:49:29 +0000, you wrote:

>> oh, but RH's function is so much more nowadays than just a paid for
>distribution.
>> hence the acquisition which is not about that. but the whole ecosystem
>can suffer as a result.
>Well said.  coreutils   gcc    llvm….  what of them?
>Redhat does a lot for the core stack.
>
>And systemd  (arrrghhh  - I said it again)

And Gnome, Java, X/Wayland, etc.  It's not just the core stack but a
lot of the open source Linux ecosystem relies on paid Red Hat
developers.  A decision by IBM, in say 2 or 3 years, to focus entirely
on cloud/server could have a detrimental effect on a lot of Linux
stuff.

But not LLVM, that is an entirely independent project (though IBM does
sort of support the Power version of LLVM based on demand from IBM's
customers).