I would think your vet is either out of date, or doesn't have the technology/experience with microchips. More and more places have scanners now.

Your dog would not need to be anesthetized! It's just like getting a vaccine - the needle is large, but no larger than a good sized IV needle. I've had all of my cats and both dogs done, and most didn't even squawk.

Jen
Cessi and Tucker