ORIGINAL POST (snipped):
There are many ways to slow down a greedy eater and my favourite has been to use my large puppy dish that is raised in the middle, or you can use a large flat pan with a large rock in the middle.
Rose Tierney

RESPONSE:
Well, Rose, I've just stumbled on yet ANOTHER way to slow down a greedy eater. Normally I feed my two a raw meat/bone/veggie mix (BARF), which Major almost inhales. Last night, I gave them whole raw fresh trout. After drooling while waiting for their "okay" command, each eagerly stuck their muzzles into their bowls, ready to chow down. Whoops, what's this? They immediately turned their eyes to mine, asking me what they were supposed to do with that "thing" in their bowls? Okay, I agreed, I'll fix it for you. Back to the kitchen, where I chopped each fish into bite-size pieces and stirred in a big glop of their beloved yogurt. Set the dishes down, and the ritual began again. The looks I got this time were just unbelievable. In addition, picture my more "traditional anti-BARF" husband in the background, ranting and raving that the dogs were smarter than I was -- feeding them fish bones -- I was going to KILL them, for gawd's sakes!

Major, the food inhaler, finally tried one piece, but that was it -- no more for him. He thought sitting and staring at me would magically produce his "real" food. Maddie daintily removed each piece from her bowl, squished it up around the utility room floor, and then carefully chewed and swallowed each piece. I left them to it, checking every few minutes to make sure I didn't have to resuscitate a choking dog. Finally, Maddie had eaten all hers and Major's too. No choking, no problem -- just a bewildered, hungry, stubborn Major-boy.

A half hour later, I gloatingly marched into my husband's den to inform him that they successfully ate the raw fish, just the way nature intended. No choking, no problems. (I didn't mention that Major only ate one piece.) Then I triumphantly returned to the living room, just in time to find Maddie regurgitating two pounds of masticated trout and yogurt onto the dining room carpet. I didn't feel it was necessary to inform my husband of this, either . . .

So, to slow down a greeder eater, try slinging a whole fresh fish into his bowl. Maybe I'll try an elk rib cage tonight.

Back to my corner,
Vicky Whitney
Bozeman, Montana