Last week I had a lump taken off Gunner.  It was on his side just under the
skin. I found out this evening it's a mast cell.  The vet said that's it's a
grade 1 (I guess if you have a mast cell that's the good news).  He said the
pathologist could not definitely say they got it all. So the vet wants to go
back in and get more out to make sure.  Gunner's going back next Wed. to
have that done.  My vet said when he's had grade 1 mast cells and gotten it
all out that he has not seen it come back, though that doesn't mean it
won't.

I'm not at all worried about Gunner going under anesthesia again.  When he
went the first time he was in at 9:00 am, they were done at 11:00 and at
1:00 they called and asked me or my husband could take Gunner home because
he was walking around, which we did.  They let him stay in the back with
them were they work instead of in a crate.  That evening he was trotting
around the backyard with a toy.

My vet is not one that sugar coats anything, he tells it like it is, and I
like that about him. My question is, does it sound right what he said about
grade 1 mast cells?  If they get it all it probably won't come back?  Gunner
turned 6 yrs. old in Sept. and has been doing really good, though he's still
a couch potato, that's just part of his charm. I did get a lot of weight off
him in the last year and Greta has made him feel young again.  He hasn't
lost his appetite at all.  I know I should know more about mast cells from
reading the L.  But since I lost Mattie I just can't bring myself to read
about other Berners with cancer.

I guess what I'm asking is how worried should I be?  I tend to be overly
optimistic, but I want to be realistic. Thanks for any info.

Kathy Schmitz, Woodstock, Georgia
Gunner & Brighteye Meine Liebe "Greta" CGC
"Mattie" Matterhorn Princess CD, NA, CGC  (in loving memory, always the
light of my life)
Two stray kitties