Hi, Mary.....Yeppers, definately nutrition can help a dysplastic or any
ortho dog.  Again take mine, a dozen super ortho vets said he would be
crippled by a year, go look at my site, he runs , jumps, does stairs using
the rear legs independent of one another , climbs on everything , stands on
his rear and walks like a bear....totally, totally nutrition done, nutrition
including supps.  It took me a year tho' to get the muscles to start
developing but swimming, good old non weight baring exercise did it along
with diet a close watch on what goes in directly has a effect on what shows
outwardly.
You can slow the progress of HD but not stop it if the genetic
predisposition is there.

A puppy needs proper exercise just as a child does to develop properly and
strong, IF they have no genetic defect.  But with the defect they need
specific exercise and therapy to develop without causing more pain.  Not
locked up to atrophy the muscles but guided with the proper exercises ,
including massage to the inside muscles and ligaments of the thighs in an HD
case.  I also work on the fore limbs of my fella as they did take the brunt
of his weight at the start and still massage them cause I don't want the
elbows to go either!

Yep, nutrition is a good thing but if you have the genetic predisposition to
ortho nutrition won't prevent it just keep the inflammation and pain out,
that is all.

Rusty C & Good Company