On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:05:48 -0700 "Mary-Ann Bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

> Spoke with a "breeder" whose name was public when it showed up on
> auction
> pedigrees. This man told me that he will give a refund for a
> dysplasic
> dog -- if the owner returns the dog to him. After all, he told me,
> you don't
> get a new refrigerator unless you return the defective one.
>
> So what do you think??

I've always wondered what these breeders do with the "defective" returned
dog. I hate to guess.

I'm fortunate in that although I've had dysplastic dogs in my breedings,
I've yet to have one that required surgery. I know the first thing I ask
is that either I get to see the xrays or they go to OFA for a pre-lim
eval. In one case I had a vet ready to do surgery on a dysplastic pup I
bred. He claimed she had severe hips and bad elbows. The poor owner
called me in tears and I begged her to please wait to get another
opinion. OFA came back as good hips and grade one elbows DJD. Ultimately
at 2 this girl ended up with OFA good hips and grade 2 elbows but again
did not require surgery. I recommended a life long course of glucosamine
and chondroitin. I think the important thing is I am there.

I like to think if surgery was needed I would have refunded the owners
money as this is a huge financial commitment on the owners behalf
however, I have not crossed that bridge yet so do not know. I don't think
breeders can make guarantees on something they can not control. If a
breeder makes the best effort possible to breed towards healthy dogs and
honestly discloses hereditary trends in their breedings then it is up to
the buyer to buy a pup or not. There is IMO a risk to ownership. This
risk however should not be shouldered by the buyer alone. IMO any breeder
that asks for the dog back in order to get your refund is a scam artist.

The last thing any breeder should do IMO regardless of what they may
think is place blame on the owner for the problem. I can tell you the
owner feels guilt, sadness and concern and regardless of what you think
may or may not have caused the problem it is wrong to place blame. The
hardest thing a breeder has to do is accept the responsibility. Every dog
I produce that has a problem is sick or is lacking in some way is my dog.
It is as hard for me to accept this defeat as it is for the owner to deal
with it.

Susan Ablon
Gweebarra BMD
Balch Springs, Tx