I know this is from France so the issues are different and I have been
reading with interest. We bought our lovely BMD from a breeder after much
research (though not enough as I now realise). We realised things were not
as they seemed when we tried to email and call for help with the terrible
biting problems we were encountering. The breeder refused to anser calls or
emails. Then Tatty got sick, ver ysick and as she seemed as if she would die
I called the breeder. Did she know of any fmaily problems? I got a lot of
noise about how it was not her fault my dog was sick (not what I was
suggesting), and finally a small detail that one of her dogs had a problem
with her throat (that was the entire info). The breed line certs never
arrived..... we bought a show quality dog so that we could if we so choose
show her and or breed her at a later date.
She is fully recovered, fighting fit and we would never give her back or
want a refund if she turns out to not be show quality, or not able to be
bred due to hips/elbows etc. Instead we will go to another breeder in Franc
ewho has responded to our questions, who does not breed unless at least the
last two generations are clear. The breeder I bought from has two litters
every few months (as seen on her web site) not what she told us on the phone
or in person). We should have known better, but when we were there with this
new pup we were not going to say no!
I am sure there are many more experiences like mine which colour the way us
buyers see breeders, however my other experiences with breeders bith on and
off this list has changed that view to one of FIND THE RIGHT BREEDER FOR
YOU. We will look for a few years before we may or may not buy another pup,
just so we know we have found a breeder we personally can trust. It is not
about money, it is about ensuring we can make sure the breed stays as
wonderful as it can, whether or not we start to breed.
I am so glad of the help adn advice offered by breeders and buyers to me,
that is seems obvious we need each other. And yes I do tell everyone not to
buy from the place I did!
Emma