Oh boy,  I hope I do this right, ...

> ***Would you tell us what the NSBC's function is and give us a thumbnail
> sketch of what your friend does as national coordinator for Berner litter
> registrations?
> Thanks in advance and welcome!
> Ruth Reynolds

Thank you Ruth, for your warm welcome, I have always enjoyed your posts
through out my years as a lurker. Firstly, the Swedish Sennenhundklubb
(SShK) breeders' genetic committee (åvelsrådet), is a convening board  that
works actively to preserve and improve the health of the 4 Sennenhund breeds
as well as to preserve and maintain the respective breeds' mental and
exterior qualities as described in the 4 respective breed standards. The
commitee has it foundation in the "Genetics & Breeders' Ethical Code" which
was established in June 1984. It has since been audited and revised 8 times.
(please forgive my clumbsy translations of the various official names) I
wish I could just clip and paste everything here, but then noone would
understand it. I will try my best to give an adequate presentation though if
anything appears unclear or in weird English, just ask me and I'll clear it
up as best I can.

The Code of Breeding Ethics includes general rules pertaining to any
breeding practice of the 4 breeds as well as rules regarding breeding
practice pertaining specifically to each of the 4 Sennenhund breeds.
Sennenhund litters that are bred in violation of the Code of Ethics cannot
be registered with the Swedish National Kennel Klubb (SKK, member of the
FCI) as pure bred dogs.

In regards to Berners, besides the expected HD, ED and (PNP) health
clearances, all Berner dogs are subject to a breeding pause for evaluation
after siring 30 offspring. A dog that sires a percentage of puppies with a
incidence of HD or ED that exceeds the agreed upon accepted limit according
to the Ethical Code is withdrawn from breeding practice. There is a national
maximum limit for which a sire may be used in regards to offspring produced,
which is 80 puppies in Sweden. A dog that has produced 80 offspring in
Sweden with acceptable results according to the code and that has passed the
age of  7 without developing any of the health problems as described in the
code, may be used further until the litter in which the 95th puppy is
produced. There are many other details that I will gladly share.

Berner Bitches, besides health clearances regarding HD, ED and (PNP), must
be 2 years of age or more at the whelping of their first litter and may only
whelp one litter per year. A bitch producing her first litter after the age
of  4.5 years, must first have a veterinary certificate of  health before
being bred. The Swedish National Kennel Klubb (SKK) has specific ethical
rules and guidelines as to breeding bitches of all pure breeds, and these
rules must be followed as well. I will post these if requested.

That's about all the translating I will endeavour to do in one post, whew. I
expect and hope this post will generate questions, please ask away. Ruth, I
will answer your second question about Berner litter registrations in
another post, okay?

Berner Hugs
Cecilia Ståhl